History

In 1901 Pastor Edwin Fischer arrived in Perth to establish the first Lutheran congregation in Western Australia.

Since that time our West Australian mission has been to bring the Good News of God’s love in Jesus Christ to all  people, in our communities and beyond.

Over the years St Johns members have given generously towards building their church. In 1936, with only 9 families, a church large enough to seat 100 people was erected.  The exterior stone came from Darlington in the Perth hills. Over time the church was extended and a choir loft added. The magnificent organ with its 1200 pipes, was built by Paul Hufner and dedicated in 1990.

A church hall was built in 1986 following a land swap for the construction of what became the Graham Farmer Freeway Tunnel. In 2006 adjoining land was purchased to increase the size of the block and the Faith for the Future project commenced. The new building was completed and officially opened by LCA Bishop John Henderson in March 2016.

The heritage and style of St Johns worship is Bible based preaching and prayer, along with robust congregational singing. Today there is a healthy mix of traditional worship with hymns and organ, and contemporary worship of praise with singers and band.